An apical resection removes the part of the root which lies deepest into the jawbone. After removal , a small plug is put in to fill the gap.
When should the patient resort on apical resection ?
- When anatomical flaws hinder proper cleaning and filling through lassic endodontic treatment , or because of the calcification laid on the root canal , severe root curving ,narrow root canal.
- In prothesis restauration when endodontic retreatment cannot be performed properly , because edodontic retreatment will compromise the dental crown when reaching the root canal ; in addition some dental restauration techniques are metal -device included and their extraction might cause root canal fracture.
- In case of orizontal root fracture with apical necrosis.
- When there are obstructions alongside root canal such as small pieces of restauration material , broken metal devices.
- Endodontic treatment failure such as incomplete filling , or overfilling, granuloma.
- Severe periapical injuries that will not be resolved by root canal treatment.
Why is it used?
No state of the art implant will ever replace a strong healthy tooth, that is why we recommend saving the healthy tooth by endodontic treatment or surgery when needed.
Which teeth allow apical resection?
All kinds of teeth allow apical resection ,it only depends on different anatomical structure of the root, relating to bone tissues and to anatomical adjoining cavity. Usually this procedure is limited to the 2 superior and inferior molars and to inferior premolars where surgery difficulty lies in mental foramen.,surgery might harm .
How does it make?
Apical resection is part of dentoalveolar surgery. The surgery is performed under local anesthesia or under general when patients are anguished, because the surgeon needs them to cooperate, also under anesthesia patient does not feel pain .
The surgery is performed on the dental chair in sterilized atmosphere , with sterilized tools and equipment.
An apical resection removes the part of the root which lies deepest into the jawbone,in order to reach the infected part of the bone .The infected tissue is wholelly removed. After removal , a small plug is put in to fill the gap. New-formed cavity is ozon –treated in order to obtain full aseptic zone.
There are bone tissues defects following curettage which won’t be able to recover. In this case we resort on the addition of artificial bone structure or bone tissues growing stimuli. The immediate zone of the structure bone is collagen isolated to avoid excess of the gum tissue and slow growing of the bone tissue. Wound is closed with non-absorbable threads. The wound is OzonyTron treated for quick recovery. Then ,your stitches will be removed after 6-7 days.
Post surgery advice:
- protect your teeth eating soft food for a period
- proper oral hygene
- follow antibiotic and anti–inflamation prescription
- if you feel pain several days after surgery you should see your dentist , this way prevent complications